What Employees Don't Like About the Holidays - Survey Results
Q1. What aspects of the holiday season do you DISLIKE the most?
1. 51% Fighting trafffic.
2. 39% The extra expense of Christmas.
3. 34% Gaining weight
4. 34% Coming up with gift ideas for others.
5. 31% Expectations to buy others gifts.
6. 28% Coming up with gift ideas for myself.
7. 26% Busyness.
1. 28% Pressure to get year-end tasks done.
2. 23% “White elephant” gift exchanges.
3. 22% Expected to buy gifts for colleagues or supervisor.
4. 21% Required to participate in “Secret Santa” giving.
5. 20% Having to attend after hours holiday celebration.
6. 18% Having to work on holidays.
7. 18% Being required to bring food for holiday luncheon.
* * * * * * * *
- Leave ample time for employees to work on the extra year end tasks and reports.
- Don’t force your employees to participate in gift giving exchanges (explicitly or implicitly).
- Be sensitive to scheduling issues and time requirements during the holidays.
- If you are going to have a meal to celebrate, provide the food.
Additionally, we asked people to write and tell us examples of their worst holiday experience related to work.
Click on this link Survey Stories to read some of the startling “my worst holiday work experience” stories submitted by over 500 readers. I’m sure you’ll have similar reactions as I did to some (“You’ve got to be kidding me!!).